Foundation: Nadia’s Initiative
- Nobel Prize 2018: Nobel Peace Prize 2018 (Prize Share: 1/2) – Prize motivation: “for their efforts to end the use of sexual violence as a weapon of war and armed conflict.”
- Goodwill Ambassador 2016: First for the Dignity of Survivors of Human Trafficking of the United Nations.
- Council of Europe Václav Havel Award for Human Rights 2016: For bringing the plight of the Yazidi community, in particular the forced sexual enslavement and human trafficking of women and children captured by ISIS, to the forefront of international attention.
- Sakharov Prize 2016: For raising awareness of the plight of the Yazidi community in Iraq, a religious minority subjected to a genocidal campaign by Islamic State militants and of the situation of women affected by the terrorist group’s campaign of sexual violence.
- Glamour Women Of The Year 2016: For she stood up to ISIS trying to bring justice at the International Criminal Court.
Nadia Murad Basee Taha is a German-based Yazidi-Iraqi human rights activist. She was kidnapped and held by the Islamic State for three months. Murad was born in the village of Kojo in Sinjar District, Iraq. Her family, of the Yazidi ethno-religious minority, were farmers. She was held as a slave in the city of Mosul, and beaten, burned with cigarettes, and raped when trying to escape. Nadia was able to escape after her captor left the house unlocked.
Murad is the founder of Nadia’s Initiative, an organization dedicated to “helping women and children victimized by genocide, mass atrocities, and human trafficking to heal and rebuild their lives and communities.” On winning the 2018 Nobel Peace Prize Nadia said…
I hope that it will help bring justice for those women who suffered from sexual violence.
Last Update: 03-Nov-18
More about Awards & Achievements:
We are world’s only web-based purely dedicated to major accolades and achievements across all walks of life. An award is an acknowledgement given to a person, a group of people, or an organization to recognize their excellence in a certain field; a certificate of excellence. Awards & Achievements are often signified by trophies, titles, certificates, commemorative plaques, medals, badges, pins, or ribbons. Read More>>